10.4.14

Change

I came across the following quote on Pinterest yesterday, and felt like it was speaking to me:
“Accept what is, let go of what was, have faith in what will be.”
I want to talk a bit about change today - which is what this quote is all about for me.

As much as I would like to think of myself as someone who embraces change, I’m surely not accepting change easily. I get used to things being a certain way and I get comfortable. In my head I always know that change means opportunity, growth, and new beginnings, and that I should be open towards it - approaching it with positivity. Still, I’m not quite there yet, and change can be hard for me.
At the moment I’m going through some personal changes in my life, and I feel like there are a few more changes to come over the next few months. It’s scary and it can be hard to accept. And I think that is the case no matter what kind of change you’re going through.
I do think the quote above speaks a lot of truth, yet I find it hard to really accept and live accordingly. I think mindfulness relates to this topic in many ways - trying to be present, and enjoying the moment. It’s such a great concept, but so hard to live by.
I believe a lot of it is also about whether we make a conscious choice to make a change, or whether we are being ‘forced’ into it. But either way, the challenge is to deal with it and accept it.
Apart from personal changes, I also want to change a few things around here. I feel that I need some time to think things through and will take a week or so off blogging. Maybe even a bit longer if I feel like it. Sometimes you need a break to deal with change ;)
You see, I’m definitely not there yet - I have a hard time accepting what is, and moving forward. Have you gone through change recently, or have made any deliberate changes (not matter whether personal or work related or anything else)? I honestly would love to hear your thoughts on it, and please do share any tips you have for dealing with change in a healthy way.

P.S. While I’m gone, I have a few suggestions for you to work on: are you using your camera in manual mode yet? If not, why not give it try? Play around with aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. I promise taking your camera off automatic will make a huge change to your photos.

P.P.S. My friend Emma is sharing a little bit about me and my work in one of her regular blog features. If you’re interested in being part of this feature as well, do drop her an email.

P.P.P.S. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway. :)


17 comments:

  1. I came to the right place! I will definitely try to learn a few tips in photography from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone through a whirlwind of changes over the past few years. I was sort of pushed into it because of circumstances, but it's helped me become who I am. It makes me think of the metamorphosis of a butterfly, which are my fave, by the way. It has to go through the difficult stages to show the beauty and glory of what's it become. I still have a long way to go, but I'm not giving up. Neither should you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story, Kristy! I love the thought of the metamorphosis of a butterfly, I actually read about it earlier today - kind of funny you mention it now. It's very true - thank you for the encouragement! :)

      Delete
  3. Helena! I think all of us have phases when we go through a lot of changes, internal and external. I really worked hard on accepting the changes in my thought patterns and attitude and generally the way of thinking during the last year. It is an ongoing process and it is best to just flow with it than stop and think too much about it. Dont worry, i am sure it will come to you naturally! You ll be just fine! Just let it be.

    Remember, change is the only constant! :)

    - Chaitra | PinkPot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Chaitra! I'll try my very best to just flow with it - not thinking about it too much can be hard though. But I'm working on it. It's encouraging to hear from you and others going through change, and how you deal with it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to say firstly that you are the first person to share photography tips that I have actually found useful and easy to implement. I'm really starting to get the hang of using my camera in manual, and it's definitely thanks to you!

    As far as change goes, finding the positives in the situation is always where I start. My life is one big question mark at the moment, and the only thing I know for sure is that it will be totally different three months from now. It's unsettling, but in the end it's always worth it. Hope that helps!

    The Geneva Convention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing - so great to hear you're getting the hang out your camera! :)
      Thank you for your tips, Geneva. You're right, whatever happens, things will turn out just fine.

      Delete
  5. Helena your words are so timely for me today. I feel like I am going through major changes lately. After spending the last 8 years at home bringing up my 3 boys I am trying to get back into the workforce and it is difficult and disheartening. I question whether I made the right choices years ago, more with my heart than my head, to stay at home, rather than to further my career. So lots of change going on here, regaining my identity as not just 'mum'.

    On another note, I really love your blog. Thank you! I bought myself a semi decent camera last year and I find your posts really inspiring and helpful. And yes, I have just started to turn my camera to manual! I find I need to try and take time with my photos and not rush them. I also wanted to ask.. what program do you use to adjust the pics on your computer? And can you recommend any that are easy to use and free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel with you, Alisa. I don't think of decisions as right or wrong ones - just decisions that led to different outcomes. I read something yesterday, suggesting to think of an event as something outside of our minds. it's just an event - only our emotions and how we feel about it add meaning to it. So just seeing an event as an event and nothing more can help to distance yourself.

      Thank you for your lovely words! I personally use Lightroom and Photoshop (you can get Photoshop CC for a monthly subscription now, so makes it a bit cheaper :) ). Otherwise I can't think of any really good editing programmes off the top of my head, but I've used Picasa before for really simple things. I'm sure a quick google search will bring up loads of programmes.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post and photos:) I greet:*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is the element of uncertainty that causes us to struggle with change. Perspective is the only way to keep a positive attitude in the midst of upheaval in our lives. Try to pull back (or zoom out!) and see your life from a great distance, from beginning to end as a long winding stream that flows into the sea....there are many twists and turns and ups and downs, but it all ends up exactly where it's suppose to be. I know it's hard! I struggle with keeping this perspective myself, but honestly, it does help to just literally try to go with the flow of life. Acceptance and openness are key. So many cliche's, I know, but it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your view and tips, Starr! I'm sure they are cliches for a reason ;) Although it'd be great to find a 'secret recipe' to deal with change, it always does come back to the usual tips. Definitely a good reminder, and I think zooming out really does help!

      Delete
  8. It's a good start to be able to identify that change makes you anxious. At least you know what you're dealing with!

    I think there's sometimes a real pressure to rush into change, but there's no reason why you shouldn't take it easy. Take time off. Recharge. Refocus. Often the best periods of my life have come after a period of 'downtime' before a change.

    Your mind and body know what they need, so just go with it - and don't feel pressure to alter your pace of change for anyone.

    x Elena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elena, thank you so much for your encouragement! I haven't consciously thought about this before, but I was definitely feeling like I have to rush through change. Allowing myself to take the time I need to get through it feels freeing already. Thank you for sharing this insight, I really appreciate it and love that it's something a bit different from the usual advice! x

      Delete
  9. All I can say is I am right there with you.................
    A big wind is moving in our lives it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to react changes quite poorly but now I am grown up and facing more changes, I am ok with it although sometimes it takes a while to accept and be happy again.

    lovely photos too

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete